Hello Neon Lips…Candy Yum-Yum and Viva Glam Nicki

I have a thing for bright, and I mean, bright lipsticks. When I mean bright, I’m thinking almost neon. These colours bring me back to the days of Wham! and Wake me Up Before You Go-Go. If you’re too young to remember that, please bear with me ;-)

The latest to join my expanding collection of ‘neon’ lipsticks is MAC’s Candy Yum-Yum. It’s a colour that received a tonne of attention when it was Limited Edition. Recently, it became a permanent member of MAC’s collection (hooray!), and of course, it was only a matter of time before this came home to mama.

Candy Yum-Yum has blue undertones and is matte. Your lips need to be well moisturized or it ain’t pretty. Trust me.

If I was younger, I would wear it in all its glory like this.

But as a 40-something suburban wife/mom/career lady, I have to wear it a little differently.

I do the old pat it on the lips with my finger method. It works wonders. You should try it if you haven’t.

Candy Yum-Yum is not the only neon-like lipstick in my arsenal. I compared it to Viva Glam Nicki, the yellow-toned bright pink that I also adore.

They are very different though just looking at the tubes makes me want to do cartwheels (even though I don’t know how).

So there you have it. Neon lips a la Michelle.

What do you think of bright lips like Candy Yum-Yum?

13 thoughts on “Hello Neon Lips…Candy Yum-Yum and Viva Glam Nicki

• February 4, 2013 at 10:32 am

These are so pretty on you! My next bright lip purchase will be the Smashbox fuschia one — can’t wait for one of those 20x points days!

• February 4, 2013 at 6:31 pm

I have yet to see that one — you’ve piqued my interest!

• February 4, 2013 at 1:27 pm

Both of these are totally wearable. In my opinion, it’s all about application. You can take any shade (my most recent favorite is NARS Dressed to Kill) and tone it down or up by changing the application techniques. Using your finger or adding lip liner turns one lipstick into three different shades. Such a great money saver :D

• February 4, 2013 at 6:31 pm

I totally agree Alison!

• February 4, 2013 at 1:28 pm

Both these shades look fab on you; I am not sure they woud work on me but I would really like to try them – I partic like Yum Yum; the bravest I have ever got is Up the Amp..so far

• February 4, 2013 at 6:32 pm

Hey Blighty, give one of these a shot if you can do Up the Amp, you can try these. As Alison pointed out, it’s all about how you apply it — you can make anything work :-)

• February 4, 2013 at 1:30 pm

You wear Viva Glam Nicki so incredibly well!!! I tried it on and didn’t hate it, but that was before I got into lipsticks so I ended up not purchasing. I’m glad they made Candy Yum Yum permanent. I’d LOVE to give it a go!

• February 4, 2013 at 6:32 pm

Give it a shot Sunny! It’s such a cheerful colourful in my opinion.

• February 4, 2013 at 3:42 pm

I am wearing Candy Yum Yum right this second! It’s a bit intimidating but I love it so much xx

• February 4, 2013 at 6:32 pm

Yay Coco! It’s fun to wear isn’t it?

• February 4, 2013 at 6:39 pm

VG Nicki looks so GOOD on you! It’s so yellow and bright on me! I used it the Lipstick Bandit post today actually.
    And oh yeah, I would have been all over Candy Yum-Yum in the 80s! I had a bright fuchsia shirt I would have worn with it too haha!

• February 4, 2013 at 8:32 pm

Thanks T! I just had this vision of us in the 80s. Too bad we didn’t know each other then. We could have rocked the neon pink shirts. Remember jelly shoes and “Madonna” bracelets?

• February 4, 2013 at 8:42 pm

Looking totally hot Michelle! I think I need to grab a pair of sun glasses because wow that’s bright! I love both but I don’t really have the balls to wear them, lol! I really like how you toned them done a bit to make them a bit more wearable :)