Earlier this month, my skin went a bit wonky. Crazy wonky. It was like I got sunburned — without having gone out in the sun. First, I developed a major rash that ran across my cheeks and under my eyes. I looked like I overdid it on the blush – every day for two weeks. Then that went away and my skin got super dry and flaky.

I am not sure why my skin reacted this way or what set it off but I was determined to fix it. First thing I did was switch out whatever skincare I was using at the time, which was an assortment of products that worked for me previously. I also cleaned all my brushes like there was no tomorrow and stopped using foundations that weren’t my tried and true.

For cleansing my skin and removing makeup, I wanted something that would nourish and moisturize and so I turned to shu uemura’s Ultime8 Sublime Beauty Cleansing Oil. This was sitting on my counter for months as I had tried it a few months before in the summer. I had liked how it made my skin feel but got distracted by other products after that initial test. Dumb move on my part.

This product is amazing. It fixed my face. Within a couple of days of using, my skin began to feel smoother and less irritated. I felt like it was healing my skin.

I can admit that the thought of using an oil to clean my face was a bit disconcerting at first. But it does work. I simply take two to three pumps of product into my hands and spread the oil all over my dry face and neck. I also add a bit over my eyes to dissolve the eye makeup. Then I wet my hands and rub over my face. This emulsifies the oil turning it milky white. After this, I just rinse it off. My skin feels super clean, but not dry or parched or irritated. Makeup literally melts away, and you’re not left with any residue whatsoever.

I have heard raves about shu uemura’s cleansing oils before but never paid much attention. This particular one has many claims and I have to say, so far I’m a convert! The Ultimate8 contains a combination of eight botanical origin oils that gives skin the following benefits: revitalization, refinement, translucence, smoothness, radiance, suppleness, moisturization and nourishment. In particular, it has:

• Jojoba Oil: for hydration
  • Ginger Root Oil: helps prevent skin damage, reduces wrinkles, brightens and smooths skin.
  • Soy Oil: moisturizes and protects the skin
  • Corn Oil: protects skin from dryness
  • Olive Squalene: for moisture
  • Camelia Oil: for nourishment
  • Safflower Oil: acts as a skin barrier
  • Shea Butter:  moisture

The product also smells amazing. Why? It contains herbal floral notes such as rosemary blossom, freesia and peony, so when you spread it on your face, you get this beautiful whiff of soft fragrance. Divine.

The product is priced at approx. $98 CAN for 450 ml. Expensive, yes. But to me, it’s totally worth the investment. You get a lot of product for the price, and you only need to use small amounts each time you cleanse.  This is definitely splurge-worthy, my friends.

Have you ever had your face go wonky? What did you use to fix it?

10 thoughts on “My Skin Got ‘Wonky’…and How shu uemura Ultimate8 Sublime Beauty Cleansing Oil Saved It

• December 30, 2012 at 1:28 pm

Great review! Happy the oil fixed your skin.

My go-to’s for when my skin freaks out are my natural skincare products. Weleda Almond Facial Oil is amazing — clears up ouchy pimples over one night or two. Right now I’m looking for a super rich cream for daytime though. Got the winter flaky face. Ugh.

Hope you’re having a wonderful holiday with family, Michelle! Happy New Year! xoxo

• December 30, 2012 at 1:32 pm

Thanks my friend! I’m testing out a Biotherm moisturizer and it seems to be helping my winter skin too. Having a great time – hope you are too! xo

• December 30, 2012 at 1:51 pm

Thanks for the review, I didn’t know about this one (I have tried one of their other ones) and will keep it in mind as I like a good cleansing oil.
    When my skin gets like this I reach for Mu London’s Hemp moisturiser or Ren’s Omega 3 Night Repair Serum as they really help to calm inflammation and sort out those annoying flare-ups.

• December 30, 2012 at 1:55 pm

Thanks Meeta. Did you like their other cleansing oils? I haven’t tried them but am now curious. I don’t know about this Mu London product. Going to look into it!

• December 30, 2012 at 6:03 pm

I did like the texture (I tried the classic one) and it did really get off everything but I don’t know if it was the mineral oil but I got tiny little whiteheads pop up a little after using this. I am rather acne-prone so my skin can be somewhat picky. I like the sound of this version as I hear it doesn’t have any mineral oil in it.

• December 30, 2012 at 2:57 pm

Glad to hear this helped, Michelle! I’ve had a couple of incidents with wonky skin this year, but it was mostly my fault. I was either too enthusiastic about acid (my skin apparently only likes a very light dose of AHA) or using the wrong dry oil (who would have thought this dry oil that looks great on paper would make my skin dull and ashy?). I know if my skin ever freaks out for no reason I’ll stick to Pai products. Everything I’ve tried is SO gentle!

• December 30, 2012 at 4:05 pm

I use an oil cleanser every single night to remove my makeup… my tried and true is the one made by Boscia. I’ve always wanted to try a Shu oil cleanser but I just can’t bring myself to spend money on something new, when something I already know works so well… I need to put it on my birthday want list :) it would be an awesome gift to receive :)

• December 30, 2012 at 7:26 pm

I’ve never tried Boscia. Must investigate! This is definitely a great gift idea!

• December 31, 2012 at 1:00 pm

So cool! I’m glad it helped you out! I love this stuff too. It’s amazing! I think it’s worth the price. Everybody balks at the price, but it lasts FOREVER.

• December 31, 2012 at 3:14 pm

I agree! I remember your post about it and thinking the same :-)