If there is one blogger who influences many of my purchases, it is Karen from Makeup & Beauty Blog (MBB). She was one of the first bloggers I ever followed and I continue to look forward to her posts. I also love how connected she is with her readers and Twitter followers — with thousands of fans and followers, it’s amazing to me that she still takes the time to respond to comments and tweets. I am always so in awe when she responds to my tweets.

Why do I love her blog? She has great taste in makeup and our skintones are very similar. Most importantly, I admire her writing style  — she has a sense of humour and is totally honest. She is truly one of my blogging idols.  When Karen recommends something, I am rarely disappointed when I pick up the product. One of my favorite MBB features is MAC Unsung Heroes, where she features products from MAC that she thinks are da bomb.

When she features something I have in my collection, I feel it’s an affirmation of a good product and am proud to own it. If I don’t have it, I get this sudden urge to shop as the ‘need’ for the product escalates.

The most recent Unsung Hero that I lacked was MAC’s Sunbasque blush.

When Karen posted about it, I ran to my box (yes, box) of MAC blushes and rifled through the cases to find it. I must have it, I thought. When I came up empty handed, the urge to shop for it got the best of me. At my local MAC counter, I tried to exercise some restraint. I will only swatch it, I thought. Well, you know what happened next.  It came home with mama.

Sunbasque is a product that can be a blush or a bronzer (a blonzer?). It looks fab in the summer with a tan. Love, love it.

Who is your blogging idol?

19 thoughts on “Blogging idol: Karen from Makeup & Beauty Blog and my hunt for MAC’s Sunbasque blush

• August 12, 2011 at 2:03 am

i love karen, too!
    i have bought the timeBalm concealer after her rave about it ;)
    sunbasque looks great on you! it’s so nice for you to have such a fabulous blogger with a similar skintone, i think it’s a lot harder to find accurate swatches when you have a deeper skin.

• August 12, 2011 at 7:43 pm

Thank you! This is what I love about blogs — we can relate to ‘real’ women trying products versus just seeing fashion shots. I have to check out the TimeBalm post again now :)

• August 12, 2011 at 2:37 am

I love how this looks on me with a tan, without it’s too coppery or something.

• August 12, 2011 at 7:41 pm

Thanks Jamilla! It is a great summer cheek.

• August 12, 2011 at 5:08 am

This is really random but where did you get your earrings from? I’ve been searching all over for something similar..thank you:)

• August 12, 2011 at 7:41 pm

I got the earrings at H&M! It comes in a set of four or five of the same shape and it was only $4.99!

• August 12, 2011 at 7:39 pm

Thank you!

• August 12, 2011 at 12:42 pm

It looks great on you! I need to check this out next time I’m at MAC for sure. I love Karen! She was also the first blog I started reading. I love her writing style and the fact that she is so creative with her photos and her recommendations are usually spot on!

• August 12, 2011 at 7:39 pm

Thanks Danielle! I love Tabs the cat too ;)

• August 12, 2011 at 1:02 pm

Love how this looks on you, Michelle. You’re glowing. :)

• August 12, 2011 at 3:08 pm

Thanks so much Karen! I am so thrilled you popped by! :-)

• August 12, 2011 at 2:56 pm

Hey look! Karen posted a comment!!! So cool! I’d frame that comment! :)
    Karen is my idol too. She’s the best.
    I’m pretty sure I have Sunbasque in my drawer of MAC blushes hahaha. Must look for it!

• August 12, 2011 at 3:08 pm

Again proof how awesome she is!

• August 14, 2011 at 1:04 am

Karen was one of the main influences to blog. It’s also the Bay Area, CA Pinay connection too! I love her humor, style and writing.

I would like to let you know when I get down on myself and question whether I have what it takes to keep my blog going. I remember something that YOU said in a past post about Blogging. You said, “Blog for yourself” or something like that. So thanks Michelle for keeping my spirits alive!

• August 15, 2011 at 9:26 am

Echoing the love for Karen! She has excellent taste and her writing is always so witty and engaging.

…And now I want Sunbasque too. It looks lovely on you!

• August 16, 2011 at 2:45 am

Karen is my blogging idol too, she is one amazing lady who knows beauty! I love her MAC Unsung Heros posts also, and picked up Patina recently because of these :)